As part of its mission, the Rowayton Historical Society strives to preserve the historic character of our village and to recognize and celebrate older structures and the people who built them.
Included in these preservation efforts is the establishment of historic districts, highlighting specific areas in Rowayton with a large number of historic homes still standing. To date, two such districts have been accepted for inclusion onto the National Register for Historic Places, and a third awaits approval in Hartford.
The Five Mile River Landing Historic District is comprised of Pennoyer Street and the stretch of Rowayton Avenue from Witch Lane down to the Cannon. This section of town was central to the shipping businesses that operated out of the Five Mile River from the early 1800s through the early 20th century when the village was known as Five Mile River.
Oysterman’s Row Historic District includes Pond Street, Logan Place, Crockett Street, part of Craw Avenue, Cook Street, and the stretch of Rowayton Avenue that connects them all. This neighborhood was home to countless oysterman, boat builders, oyster houses, crews and captains, and the women who made their clothes, cooked their food, and mended their sails during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The Captain William Monsell House, c. 1885,
part of Oysterman's Row Historic District